Friday, June 24, 2016

Clutch Fork Bearing Removal/Installation

Removing and installing the bearings in the clutch fork can be a bit of a tricky task. Some people have reported that you can hammer them out with a bolt just about the same size as the bearing. I tried this with a few blows of a 3lb dead blow hammer but it did not seem to be the best way to go about doing it. Additionally, I tried a C-clamp but I wasn't able to apply enough leverage to the handle to get them moving.
 
A bench vise is a better solution but unfortunately the jaws on mine were not wide enough to fit the fork and a 5/8" socket to press in. I needed something thinner but still the same diameter.
 
The solution was to use nickels which you can gradually stack up and tape in place until you get the bearing pressed out about half way. Then I was able to use the 5/8" socket to finish the job. You can use a piece of masking tape to help keep the stack lined up and in place.
 
 
To install the new bearings place a nickel over the bearing face to protect it from the vice and slowly press in. I had difficulty getting them lined up exactly square so I placed the bearings in the freezer for a few hours, problem solved.
Press bearings from inside to outside of fork in direction of arrow 

Once halfway then was able to finish with the 5/8" socket

No comments:

Post a Comment